Our Coalition is supporting calls for a public consultation on radioactive waste in New Brunswick.
Both PC leader Blaine Higgs and Liberal leader Kevin Vickers are promoting new nuclear reactors for New Brunswick during the election campaign.
The province and NB Power already gave $10 million to two nuclear companies from the US and UK to set up in Saint John. Now the PCs and Liberals are planning to give them more.
Here’s some facts that Blaine Higgs and Kevin Vickers are not sharing:
- The new nuclear projects will create fuel with plutonium that can be used to make nuclear weapons, bringing New Brunswick into a dangerous “plutonium economy“
- The waste from the new reactors will be MORE radioactive per kilo than the existing waste at Lepreau. We will have to store it somewhere in New Brunswick, as no nuclear waste storage place exists in Canada.
- Building the new reactor sites will create hundreds of tons of radioactive concrete, radioactive steel and other radioactive materials that cannot be recycled. NB taxpayers will be responsible for the disposal costs.
Also, both Blaine Higgs and Kevin Vickers are ignoring that:
- Nuclear energy is more expensive than renewable energy.
- Investment in nuclear will delay climate action.
- Nuclear projects create fewer jobs than retrofit and renewable energy jobs.
See more information about nuclear energy development on this website.
We need a public consultation on radioactive waste in New Brunswick that will get all the facts on the table. New Brunswickers need all the information so we can make informed decisions about our future.
Please show your support for our Coalition and be a champion of responsible energy development in New Brunswick. If you sign up you can put your name on our website and receive the Coalition newsletter. Visit our members page for the list of people and groups in our Coalition and sign-up sheet to become a champion.